Find tips and guidance to create better ChatGPT prompts so you can get better responses!
“Prompt engineering” has been a big trend (and potential important new occupation) lately. The better prompts you ask ChatGPT, the better results it generates. We’ve seen endless amount of LinkedIn and social media posts about ChatGPT prompts. We decided to turn ChatGPT loose to create a guide for you on prompts. Consider this your first stop on the journey to become a more skilled AI prompt engineer. See our ChatGPT Workshop post or our ChatGPT online course and demo collection for more training to innovate how you work with AI.
Here’s a table that provides tips for creating better ChatGPT prompts for different purposes:
|Prompt Type||Purpose||Tips for Creating Better Prompts|
|Text Generation||Generating coherent and creative text|
1. Be specific about the topic and context you want the text to be about.
2. Provide examples or templates of the desired output.
3. Use language that is consistent with the desired tone and style of the text.
|Question Answering||Obtaining concise and accurate answers to specific questions|
1. Ask clear and concise questions.
2. Provide relevant context to the question to help narrow down the scope of the answer.
3. Use language that is consistent with the language of the answer you’re seeking.
|Idea Generation||Brainstorming and generating new and unique ideas|
1. Be specific about the problem or challenge you want to solve.
2. Use open-ended questions to spark creativity.
3. Provide examples or constraints to focus the idea generation.
|Content Optimization||Optimizing content for specific goals, such as engagement or SEO|
1. Define the specific goal you want to achieve with the content.
2. Provide examples of the type of content you want to optimize.
3. Use language that is consistent with the desired tone and style of the content.
ChatGPT Prompt Tips
In general, here are some additional tips for creating better ChatGPT prompts:
- Be clear and concise: The more specific you can be about what you want ChatGPT to do, the better results you will get.
- Provide context: Providing relevant context can help ChatGPT better understand what you’re looking for and generate more accurate responses.
- Use examples: Providing examples of the desired output can help ChatGPT better understand what you’re looking for and generate more accurate responses.
- Use language consistently: Use language that is consistent with the desired tone and style of the output you’re looking for. For example, if you want ChatGPT to generate marketing copy, use language that is consistent with marketing language.
- Experiment: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different types of prompts and see what works best for your specific use case.
By following these tips, you can create better ChatGPT prompts and get more accurate and useful results.
ChatGPT Prompt Samples
When I’m prompting ChatGPT I like to tell it the role to play – act as if you are a ____. I also like to tell it who it is writing for. I also like to tell it how to provide the output…such as a list, story, or a table for instance. Here is a prompt I used that I liked for this article.
PROMPT: “You are a ChatGPT trainer who helps professionals newer to ChatGPT apply ChatGPT for their work. They work in fields like management, human resources, marketing, product development, etc. Please create a table with 40 different ChatGPT prompts they might try to make them more productive at work with the help of ChatGPT. Organize the table by type of prompt and example prompts for that category.”
Here is the table it created for me with some great sample prompts for various purposes.
|Type of Prompt||Example Prompts|
|Fact-Checking||“Can you fact-check this claim for me: [statement]?”|
|Research Assistance||“Can you help me find research on [topic]?”|
|Definition||“What is the definition of [term]?”|
|Idea Generation||“Can you generate ideas for [topic]?”|
|Analogies||“Can you provide an analogy for [concept]?”|
|Metaphors||“What metaphors can be used to explain [concept]?”|
|Troubleshooting||“Can you help me troubleshoot [problem]?”|
|Decision-Making||“Can you provide insights to help me make a decision about [option]?”|
|Optimization||“How can I optimize [process/task] to be more efficient?”|
|Storytelling||“Can you help me craft a compelling story about [topic]?”|
|Character Creation||“Can you help me create a persona for [customer/audience]?”|
|Branding||“What words or phrases can I use to describe the brand personality of [company]?”|
|Brainstorming||“Can you help facilitate a brainstorming session for [topic]?”|
|Group Decision-Making||“Can you provide insights to help our group make a decision about [option]?”|
|Meeting Scheduling||“Can you help me schedule a meeting with [person/team]?”|
|Data Analysis||“Can you analyze this data set for me and provide insights?”|
|Competitor Analysis||“Can you help me analyze our competitors and identify areas for improvement?”|
|Industry Trends||“What are the latest trends in [industry] and how can we capitalize on them?”|
|Time Management||“Can you help me create a schedule for [project/task]?”|
|Task Prioritization||“Can you help me prioritize my tasks for the day/week?”|
|Email Management||“Can you help me manage my inbox more efficiently?”|
|Resume Review||“Can you review my resume and provide feedback?”|
|Interview Questions||“What are some good interview questions to ask candidates for [position]?”|
|Onboarding||“Can you provide resources to help with onboarding for [new hire]?”|
|Copywriting||“Can you help me write compelling copy for [ad/email/landing page]?”|
|Content Ideas||“Can you suggest content ideas for [blog/podcast/video]?”|
|Social Media Strategy||“Can you help me develop a social media strategy for [campaign]?”|
|Employee Feedback||“Can you help me craft feedback for [employee]?”|
|Employee Engagement||“What are some strategies to improve employee engagement in [team/company]?”|
|Leadership Training||“Can you provide resources to help with leadership training for [manager]?”|
|Lead Generation||“Can you help me generate leads for [product/service]?”|
|Sales Pitch||“Can you help me craft a sales pitch for [prospect]?”|
|Objection Handling||“What are some strategies to handle objections in a sales conversation?”|
Here’s another example of a table of different ChatGPT prompts organized by type of prompt. You can hit the “regenerate response” button to get a different response and compare the two to use the best. That’s what I did here. I think I like the first table a little better though because it helps you “fill in the blanks” with what is specific to your situation.
|Type of Prompt||Example Prompts|
|Creative||Generate 5 unique and innovative product ideas for our next product launch.|
|Analogy/Metaphor||How is customer satisfaction like a game of chess?|
|Goal-Oriented||Provide 3 actionable steps we can take to increase website traffic by 25%.|
|Problem-Solving||Come up with 5 potential solutions to reduce employee turnover in our company.|
|Personal Development||Generate 3 personal goals I can set for the next 6 months to improve my leadership skills.|
|Collaboration||Create a list of 10 potential partners we can collaborate with for our upcoming project.|
|Branding||Generate 5 unique and memorable taglines for our brand.|
|Customer Insights||What are the top 3 challenges our customers face when using our product, and how can we address them?|
|Marketing||Come up with 3 creative and effective marketing strategies for our new product launch.|
|Competitive Analysis||Compare our product to our top 3 competitors and identify 3 areas where we can improve.|
|Data Analysis||Provide insights into the top 5 factors that drive customer satisfaction in our industry.|
|Trend Analysis||Identify 3 emerging trends in our industry and provide recommendations for how we can capitalize on them.|
|Decision Making||Provide a list of pros and cons for launching our new product in a new market.|
|Risk Assessment||What are the top 3 risks associated with our upcoming project and how can we mitigate them?|
|Project Management||Create a project plan with a timeline and key milestones for our upcoming project.|
|Training & Development||Develop a training plan for new hires in our company.|
|Employee Engagement||Generate 3 new ideas for employee engagement programs to improve team morale.|
|Diversity & Inclusion||Identify 3 potential areas of bias in our hiring process and provide recommendations to address them.|
|Organizational Development||Provide recommendations for how we can improve cross-functional collaboration within our company.|
|Innovation||Generate 5 potential areas for innovation in our industry and provide recommendations for how we can pursue them.|
|Knowledge Management||Create a system for organizing and sharing knowledge within our organization.|
|Sales||Come up with 3 effective sales strategies for our new product launch.|
|Operations||Identify 3 potential areas for process improvement in our operations and provide recommendations for how to achieve them.|
|Customer Service||Develop a customer service plan to address the top 3 customer complaints we receive.|
|Product Development||Generate 5 potential new product ideas based on customer feedback and market trends.|
|Leadership||Provide recommendations for how to improve communication and trust within our leadership team.|
|HR Policy||Develop a flexible work policy that balances remote work and in-person work for our company.|
|Crisis Management||Develop a crisis management plan to address potential disruptions in our supply chain.|
|Social Responsibility||Develop a plan for how our company can improve its social responsibility initiatives.|
|Industry Disruption||Identify potential disruptors in our industry and provide recommendations for how we can adapt to them.|
|Digital Transformation||Develop a plan for how our company can leverage technology to improve operations and customer experiences.|
|Customer Acquisition||Come up with 3 effective strategies to acquire new customers for our business.|
|Market Research||Conduct a market research study to understand customer needs and preferences for our product.|
|Brand Reputation||Develop a plan to improve our brand reputation and address any negative perceptions in the market.|
|Data Privacy & Security||Develop a plan to protect customer data and prevent cybersecurity breaches.|
Note: These are just examples of prompts and are not an exhaustive list. Prompt quality and effectiveness may vary depending on specific circumstances and the skill of the user.
Innovative ChatGPT Prompts
Hey ChatGPT! Now act as if you are a LinkedIn influence in the field of creativity and innovation. Provide a guide to “innovative approaches for ChatGPT prompts to get surprising and specific results.”
As a LinkedIn influencer in the field of creativity and innovation, I’m excited to share with you some innovative approaches for ChatGPT prompts to get surprising and specific results. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of ChatGPT and generate truly unique and creative outputs:
- Use metaphors and analogies: One way to spark creativity with ChatGPT is to use metaphors and analogies in your prompts. For example, you could prompt ChatGPT to generate a description of a new product by asking it to imagine the product as a type of animal or a character from a favorite book. This can lead to surprising and unexpected results that can help you generate new ideas.
- Use constraints: Constraints can be a powerful tool for creativity, and they can be applied to ChatGPT prompts as well. For example, you could prompt ChatGPT to generate a poem with only ten words, or to write a paragraph without using any adjectives. These constraints can help you generate unexpected and creative outputs.
- Collaborate with ChatGPT: ChatGPT can be used as a collaborator rather than just a tool. You can prompt ChatGPT with questions or ideas and then work with its responses to generate new ideas or refine existing ones. This can lead to surprising and specific results that you might not have come up with on your own.
- Use imagery: Another approach to generating unique ChatGPT prompts is to use imagery in your prompts. You could prompt ChatGPT to generate a description of a landscape or a character from a painting, for example. This can help spark creativity and generate unique outputs that are rich in detail.
- Think outside the box: Finally, don’t be afraid to think outside the box with your ChatGPT prompts. The more unusual or unexpected your prompts are, the more likely you are to generate surprising and specific results. So, take risks, be bold, and experiment with different types of prompts to see what works best for your specific needs.
By using these innovative approaches for ChatGPT prompts, you can generate surprising and specific results that can help spark new ideas and drive innovation. So, go ahead and try them out and see what kind of outputs you can generate with ChatGPT!
Drilling Down on ChatGPT Prompts
Don’t be afraid to prompt ChatGPT for more detail, to share from a different perspective (like for an 8th grader or scientist), or to share in a different format (like code or a table). Here’s a table with examples of “think outside of the box” style prompts:
|Prompt Type||Example Prompts|
|Text Generation||“Write a story from the perspective of a tree that’s been around for hundreds of years.”|
|Question Answering||“What would happen if the earth suddenly stopped spinning?”|
|Idea Generation||“What are some innovative ways to reduce food waste that haven’t been tried before?”|
|Content Optimization||“How can you optimize content for a target audience that hates reading?”|
These prompts are designed to encourage creativity and thinking outside the box. By challenging ChatGPT to generate outputs that are outside of the norm, you can push it to generate surprising and unexpected results. Remember to be specific with your prompts and provide context where necessary to help ChatGPT understand what you’re looking for. With a little experimentation and creativity, you can generate truly unique outputs that can help drive innovation in your field.
Prompting with the use of metaphor or analogy is a favorite one of mine. So, here’s a table with examples of metaphor or analogy style prompts:
|Prompt Type||Example Prompts|
|Text Generation||“Imagine a skyscraper as a living organism. Describe its growth and development.”|
|Question Answering||“If a computer program was a person, what kind of personality traits would it have?”|
|Idea Generation||“Think of a bird and its unique characteristics. How can these traits be applied to design a new type of drone?”|
|Content Optimization||“How can you make a complex scientific topic more accessible to the general public by comparing it to something familiar, like a sports game?”|
These prompts are designed to encourage creativity and generate unexpected outputs by using metaphors and analogies. By prompting ChatGPT to think outside the box and make connections between seemingly unrelated ideas, you can generate new ideas and perspectives that you might not have thought of otherwise. Remember to be specific with your prompts and provide context where necessary to help ChatGPT understand what you’re looking for. With a little creativity and imagination, you can generate truly unique and innovative outputs that can help drive your projects forward.
ChatGPT Prompt Guide Training and Tips
Ultimately, you will get better AI and ChatGPT results with better prompting. You learn and actually develop your “prompt engineering” skill by trying different prompts yourself…and keep prompting to get a more specific and finely tuned response. So, open up ChatGPT and experiment. Use the example prompts, frameworks, and tables for your own projects and learning.
Do you want to innovate how you work with AI? Check out our ChatGPT Workshop or our ChatGPT online course and demo collection for more learning and development.