Learn about the latest training trends and practices here.
Today’s workforce is competitive, goal-oriented and self-motivated. In order to attract and keep top talent, you need to provide them with the resources and support they need to succeed. When employees have ample opportunity to learn and advance their careers, they are less likely to want to leave. Leveraging the latest research insights, you can continue to stay on top of the growing needs of your employees and develop a corporate training and development strategy that helps everyone succeed. In this article, we’ll cover some of these top trends in training and development. You can learn more about putting these trends into action in our innovative facilitator train-the-trainer program.
Personalized training paths
Not all employees will have come from the same backgrounds or learning environments as others. They also likely have different ways of learning and respond to different types of incentives. Long gone are the days of a one-size-fits all approach to training. Instead, the best organizations employ personalized training programs that can be tailored to each employee’s specific learning needs and skills gap. While this approach is certainly more complex, it will likely yield better results for both you and your employees.
Going hand-in-hand with personalized learning, mentoring can also be useful in the workplace. By pairing experienced employees with newer team members through formal or informal programs, you can help reduce turnover, enhance recruitment, and resolve opportunity gaps, particularly for women and people of color.
This approach to training is simply learning by doing. Employees are presented with real-world situations that actually apply to their job – and do their best to solve those hypothetical yet real-world scenarios. This type of training allows for critical analysis as well as quick thinking. It also may be a better option for employees who struggle with traditional book-and-exam style teaching.
Instead of one-off training sessions that take place once a year (or even fewer), there has also been a push for the idea of continuous development, in which employees are continuously investing in their education in order to become more well-rounded at their job. With technology and other advancements happening so rapidly, the need to keep up with their skills is also essential.
Behavioral skills – otherwise known as power skills or soft skills – will also be a priority for companies to address in 2022 and beyond. According to a recent IBM report, behavioral skills dominated the list of core competencies that global executives are looking for from their employees – bypassing technical skills for the first time.
As smartphone usage continues to overtake desktop users, it may be wise to consider how to move employee training and development to this mobile-first space. Using or creating a mobile app for training will allow employees to access the material whenever they want on their phone. It can also lend itself to more engaging and interactive learning experiences.
Learning, Development, and Training Trends for 2023
The application of artificial intelligence (AI) could be an innovative and rapidly “trending” trend for 2023. The GPT-3 AI model is astounding. We asked our AI tool for 20 trends for training, development, and learning. Here was the response.
- The use of technology to deliver training and support learning, such as online courses, mobile apps, and virtual reality experiences.
- The shift from traditional instructor-led training to more experiential and interactive learning methods, such as simulations, games, and role-playing.
- The increasing emphasis on personalized learning, with training programs tailored to individual learners’ needs, interests, and goals.
- The rise of microlearning, with training delivered in short, focused sessions that can be easily integrated into busy schedules.
- The growth of social learning, with learners sharing knowledge and expertise with each other through online communities and networks.
- The use of data and analytics to assess the effectiveness of training programs and identify areas for improvement.
- The increasing focus on developing soft skills, such as communication, collaboration, and problem-solving, in addition to technical skills.
- The integration of learning and development with other HR functions, such as performance management and career development, to support organizational goals and objectives.
- The rise of continuous learning and development, with learners encouraged to regularly update their skills and knowledge to stay current in their field.
- The growing recognition of the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in training and development, with an emphasis on creating inclusive learning environments and supporting the development of underrepresented groups.
- The use of artificial intelligence and machine learning to support and enhance learning, such as by providing personalized recommendations for courses and materials.
- The rise of blended learning, with a combination of online and in-person training methods to provide learners with flexibility and convenience.
- The growing focus on learning outcomes and the alignment of training programs with business objectives, to ensure that training is effective and relevant.
- The use of gamification and game-based learning to engage learners and make training more enjoyable and effective.
- The increasing emphasis on developing a learning culture within organizations, with support and resources provided to enable employees to learn and develop throughout their careers.
- The use of mentoring and coaching to support learning and development, with experienced employees providing guidance and support to less experienced colleagues.
- The rise of learning ecosystems, with organizations partnering with external providers, such as universities and training companies, to offer a wider range
Support for Training and Development Initiatives
InnovationTraining.org is here to support your organization as you work on improving your training and development initiatives. We can help you organize your own innovative brainstorming session or design thinking workshop to help you create a training program that has impact. Contact us online to receive customized recommendations for getting started, or browse through our online courses today.